Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Three


I always thought that growing up in a family with three kids (as opposed to the 2 kids that most of my friends' families had) that our house felt busier, more fun and definitely just like a "bigger family." I loved my big brothers and loved the excitement of their activities and lives as much as I liked my own. It all contributed to a great big family feeling.

So as I look at pictures of my own 3 kids, I get excited for them (and for me and Bill) that hopefully they will end up feeling the same way about growing up in a bigger family. Even more so than my own family-of-origin because our kids are all 3 so close together in age.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm a big fan of the Duggar family from the TLC show "19 Kids and Counting." I've noticed that there are virtues born and grown in big families that just aren't available to small families. This family happens to share some of my beliefs and values, which of course, makes me partial to liking them - however, there are some things that are simply a function of family-size that are apparent to me from watching this show.

Now I don't know if I'm up for 19 children but I am interested in knowing how their family works. I'd love to visit them - anyone with me?

We may not be on our way to 19 but I do love looking at my 3!

2 comments:

Ross & Tricia McLain said...

I love looking at your 3 as well!!

I, agree, there are definitely blessings that God gives out to larger families that you just don't experience in smaller ones. It makes me think of Psalm 127:3-5. Clearly He tells us that children are a blessing from Him. Yet...He goes on to describe them as being "arrows".
I love this passage and I imagine the Duegger family could definitely shine some light on this for us :-)

Anonymous said...

...I had no idea you like 19 & counting... (I guess that's what distance'll do).

...I have a hard time imagining family life outside of the "four" that I know.

...one thing I'm sure of- you're an amazing mom.