Thursday, July 2, 2009

"She can laugh at the days to come..."

This is a quote from Proverbs 31. It's about a wife who works hard to love, care-for and make preparations for her family. I think God is pushing me to take this to the next level.

I saw this particular verse differently after the other night. There are 3 women I meet with on a regular basis. And we had a discussion about some of the "warnings" that the Lord seems to be giving his people. Warnings to be prepared, be watchful and do it now while things are ok.


You can call me crazy or call me wise. I guess only time will tell that. But, with Bill's blessing, we've decided to begin to take precautions that we've never taken in the past based upon some of the things people we know are hearing lately from God.

Now, I don't even like it when Bill buys 2 boxes of Wheat Thins at a time...let alone storing food for "some other day or time" we might need it. But - wisdom tells me it's time to change my spots on this one.

I'm developing and purchasing several things for my family: a water supply, an emergency food supply, a basic supplies inventory that would cover staying warm, having lighting, having a cooking source, sanitation w/o water, etc.

And there's no fear here. Just a desire to follow the Lord into whatever will happen in our world to come. I'd like to be able to laugh in the midst of it.

PS - If you're interested, here's the fantastic website I used to learn and prepare my lists:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your heart well enough to know you aren't crazy :) And I'll also admit that when I read this post I kind of shook my head... like my heart and mind don't want to "go there". But, I've bookmarked that link and I'm going to start talking to God about this... because I also want to be the wife/mother who can "laugh". Love you, Alli.

Alli said...

Maybe others have a pantry already good and stocked with stuff that could last their families a while. But we sure don't. And we're not the handy-types either. So things like duct tape and a plastic bucket started sounding like a good idea once I read about trying to potty with no water! :-) Anyway - seriously - we just don't have the basics on hand. And it's time to do it.
The last time the lights went out we drove 10 miles to a bad IHOP.

Anonymous said...

If you end up building an underground bunker, can I stay there when I visit? Especially if you decide that an XBox to keep the boys occupied is a good idea...

On a more serious note, what is it that would happen that you would need all this? Lights going out is one thing. Having a back-up water supply is quite another. Catch me up next time we talk...

Love you~

Alli said...

Think NYC-style blackout, think Katrina-aftermath, think major gas shortage or bank meltdowns... stuff like that where major systems of transportation, food or water are interrupted for significant periods of time. Weeks or even months. I think these things are entirely possible and our systems are just more delicate than we tend to believe. This isn't some weirdo, bunker-building exercise. It's about trying to have wisdom regarding the state of the world and not get caught asleep at midnight.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clarifying...

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud when I read "weirdo bunker building"... HA!

I hear you- totally hear you... and like you- when the power goes out (which is quite frequent here...) my only option is "head to town for some dinner". It's good you've got me thinking.