Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bread without Yeast


I should be doing something else right now. But instead I'm looking up recipes to make bread without yeast.

Why?

I'm not sure.

At least the only reason I have is because it is a thought that I believe comes from God. It's come to me at least 4-6 times in the past month. What a weird thought..."hey - I should learn how to make bread. And I don't think it should have any yeast."

I know there's a lot of biblical stuff in yeast. Can't say I know too much about it all except that God generally thinks we should avoid it. And it typically represents bad stuff. (Is this right - any yeast bible experts out there?)

In any case - I think God wants to me have on hand the recipe (and maybe an attempt or 2 under my belt) and all the ingredients.

How long do things like cornmeal, shortening and flour last? A long time, right? It just hit me that this could be some sort of preparation... a suggestion by God to have this knowledge and this preparation on-hand. Similar to my garden-thing... well, I'll let you know how my first bread-attempt goes. Probably about as good as my garden is going (not good - look for an update on that soon).

I sure hope God works well with fumbling attempts to follow. That's all I've got.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm... you've got me thinking.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us...

Steven Manuel said...

Yeast=sin. It puffs up without adding any substance. Israel ate unleavened bread (=yeastless), and Jesus said there was a particular kind of yeast (religious kind) that we're all to pay special attention to. Yeast spreads throughout something- you can't reign it in or keep it localized. It affects everything it touches. Similarly, Jesus said the Kingdom is like yeast. Most of the time, God insisted that nobody offer him bread with yeast as a sacrifice, but a couple of times in Leviticus, he requires bread WITH yeast, which is kind of interesting.


I think what you're feeling/hearing is about Judgment...

I Cor 5:6-12

Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough? Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth.

I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

Alli said...

Steven - This is the exact passage that I heard regarding the men's group (beginning with the second paragraph). I hadn't noticed the part regarding yeast right before it! Ok - so this is definitely for me...and definitely for others as well. God wants us purified from within. There are some who are to play a central role in this process by purging sin from within the Body. I'm so glad you knew where this was! It really puts some things together. Thanks.

Steven Manuel said...

Who wants to volunteer for the job of purging sinful people from our midst?

(Everybody points to someone else...)