Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Finishing up

My class. I wanted to post a quick note since I've gotten some questions about the end of my class "Old Testament Foundations." In short - it was great. I learned so much. It was basically a survey of the entire Old Testament, learning God's story as told through the different sections of OT scripture - the Pentateuch, the historical books, the poetical books, the prophets, the wisdom books. There is so much to learn that sometimes my head would spin at all there was to learn. And then I would remember - "this is the big picture -- pull it back a bit!"
I wrote 3 papers: one on the foretelling of Jesus through ancient Israel's worship, one about the main theological themes of the Old Testament and one was a 3-parter: a) themes of the prophets, b) extrabiblical ancient literature and c) how my understanding of Jesus is was changed by what I've learned in the OT.

I honestly have no opinion as to whether this was a "good" or "bad" class. I have nothing with which to compare. For me, it was a great learning experience for a highly motivated learner. I knew I just desired the material -- almost like water on a hot day...something I was lacking and desperately desiring. I saw again how much I love to write and how much my writing is connected to my learning. One of my papers actually made me cry.

There were days that I got tired of using all my early mornings and naptimes to get my work done. And the week my papers were due were a little much. But all in all, it was great.

Next semester I'm doing "New Testament Foundations." When I saw that I said "oh yeah - that makes sense." First the Old, then the New...a year of laying foundations.

1 comment:

Ross & Tricia McLain said...

Fantastic! Happy to hear it was a good start & that you're continuing on.