Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Give Him something to work with


Lately I've thought a lot about my dream of studying and teaching. I dream that someday I will have all the time in the world to pursue study of what I care about the most: God and His Word. And that it will somehow lead me into more teaching in different contexts. I hope this period of study includes book study and intensive people-time as well. I hope to have many teachers revealed in my life and learn much. I don't know whether this includes a traditional classroom or not. We'll see. But my brain and my spirit longs for this. I believe that God has not only planted this dream in me but that He has given me encouragement of it and a few early opportunities to explore it.

About 2 weeks ago I began reading a book on church history - "Church History in Plain Language." It's been on my shelf for a while and I just kept looking at it. I believe that me choosing to read this; choosing to engage in my dream...it's telling God that I'll give it whatever I've got to give. Which, right now, is a few nap-times per week to read and study it. This is absolutely part of my dream. And, while it seems small, sends God (I hope!) a message that I want Him to continue to help me on the path to my dreams. I want to give God something to work with instead of waiting for Him to drop my dreams in my lap. I'll take some steps and believe that His Grace will open doors and provide a level path. I'm betting the rest of my life on it, actually. And I believe that's a safe bet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is profound: "I want to give God something to work with instead of waiting for Him to drop my dreams in my lap."

Yesss... permission to share and write and reflect about this?! Quote credits given, of course!

Alli, you've known forever (if forever can start at 6) that I love your heart - and for the record, I love your dreams too.