Saturday, March 27, 2010

We love Love!

We are a very affectionate family. Andrew usually gives his friends hugs and kisses when he leaves them at school or the playground. Luke got on the phone the other day with a friend of Bill's and said "I love you!"
Love is our biggest goal as parents: we certainly try to make sure our kids do not go a day without receiving our love to the fullest (some days are better than others of course!). We think this includes "I love yous" and hugs and kisses (our favorites!). But also takes the form of playing together, discipline, encouragement, teaching, praying for them and just listening. The biggest parenting challenges for us, so far, are usually around this question: "what exactly IS love right NOW?"
I'm guessing that's probably always going to be the case. And I think the only one with that information is God...so I try to ask him as much as possible instead of relying on my own, lesser version of love. He knows the real deal and He's sharing with people who ask! So - I'm trying to ask Him more how to Love my kids.

Today, however, it was pretty clear: love = hugs and kisses!

No comments: