Saturday, April 24, 2010

Who are these people?!


Pop culture. It's never been my thing. I worked in Beauty Care at P&G years ago and this is when it first came to light... I was actually chastised by my boss for not caring enough about popular trends and celebrities. I found myself disliking the "cool brands" and rooting for the simpler ones not sold by over-the-top beauty or the celebrity with the best hair.

Although I certainly can't deny I like to look up-to-date; I like to dress from the same stores that you like (Gap, Banana, White House Black Market, Dillards, whatever) and I'm not immune to the effects of pop culture upon me.... I just simply don't CARE about it much. That's what I tried to tell my boss... "I can't make myself care about something that I just...don't." She wasn't impressed and decided to send me to our PR firm for a crash-course in "what's cool." I quit before she got the chance.

I had a recent incident where I heard the name "Randy Jackson" yet saw a picture in my head of Randy TRAVIS. (My country music days returning to bite me in the butt). I've had many similar incidents over the years: asking a friend about some band that sang a hit song called "Hey ya" that I'd never heard. I'm sitting here remembering my Aunt MaryLee asking me once "what's a Bon Jovi?" I'd ask that now. If you quizzed me on celebrity faces, the only ones I MIGHT know are those who have appeared on American Idol lately. Although clearly this isn't the key, as poor Randy Jackson has still fallen prey to my pop culture faux-pas.

This also extends into the world of music, especially...and it's associated technologies: IPODS (just learned I have an Ipod that is 4 "generations" old), current stereo systems, popular radio stations, etc. I'm not sure why the music world is hit especially hard by this (and I do love to listen to music) but it seems to be a place where celebrity and up-to-the-minute culture is of critical importance. That's where I'm lost.

I'm not embarrased by this. I don't think it's a bad thing. Actually, I think it's great and often very amusing. I now know and accept that this has nothing to do with being relevant to people... it's actually a way that God has put me together. I think it makes life a little simpler and less crowded by people that I'll never meet and never know. And I hope that it makes me a little less part of the worldly culture around me. A friend recently suggested that I should be embarrassed by this. But I'm ok with staying a few steps further away from bad trends and bad boob jobs. I think I'm probably better off for it!

1 comment:

jflinn said...

i am with you on this. Andy and i are going to nashville for a week in august and i joked around about seeing celebrities, but the bad part is i wouldn't know who they were. I told him i was going to start studying pictures of country music people so i wouldn't miss out.
i don't think it is a bad thing at all.