Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Adam and Eve...alli-style

So I thought it'd be good to have fun with some Bible stories by acting them out. Not only is it great fun for the boys, but I believe it just makes the stories come to life and sink deeper. Granted, this will continue to be more fun as they grow up, but I've gotten pretty good at dialing things down for a 2 and 4 year old. But I wasn't prepared at ALL for what happened this morning....

We decided on the story of Adam and Eve and (as their children's bible calls it...) the "Sneaky Snake." This is their current favorite at bedtime. Short on costumes, we grabbed a dinosaur costume from last Halloween and a superhero cape and mask. Andrew (the dinosaur) represented the creation story and Luke (the superhero) was Adam. Then we needed a snake and a God. I said I'd do the snake and Andrew immediately yelled "No Mommy! No one can be the snake!!" Ok - good point. So we settled on the tail of the dinosaur as the snake with mommy doing the voice. And I played God. (hehehe). And off we went through the short story doing voices, hiding behind bushes, etc. Then....

As we were coming to the end and I (er...God) was talking to Adam (now played by Andrew) and Eve (now played by Luke) about why they had to leave the garden and not live with God....I could see Andrew getting a little upset. Tears were forming in his eyes. (I was playing a loving but firm God -- nothing scary, mean or over-the-top I swear!). And he suddenly started to cry when I asked them to leave the garden (the bushes outside our front porch). He cried and cried. I had to stop and hold him on my lap. Real tears. He was really upset!! I asked him why he was crying as I held him and he said...
"Mommy - I can just feel how sad that was for Adam."
All I said was "you're right buddy - this is actually a very sad story. I think you got it."


Stay tuned - next week I promised some sort of battle with light-sabers.

5 comments:

Ross & Tricia McLain said...

Wow! Okay... Hmm...
I think the little guy has a perfect heart. yep... I want a heart like that one.

Krissy said...

I'm crying right now. Andrew's spirit is so sensitive to God's heart, and he's so wise. I've never thought about that before. How sweet!

Erin said...

Gosh. This makes me cry too. What a sweet-hearted baby boy. I feel like this is how we're all supposed to think and feel about this story. New insights! Thanks, Andrew.

Rachel said...

Sweet, sweet Andrew.

Maybe he would like to hear the part of that story when God makes sure they have clothes before they go. I love that part, it emphasizes the "firm but loving".

Anonymous said...

Tears here too... WOW. So glad you shared this - for so many reasons. Andrew's ability to feel the truths of the Spirit makes me think he's an intercessor.