Sunday, February 7, 2010

Isaiah 40

I've been reading Isaiah chapter 40 for several days in a row. I wouldn't call it "studying" this passage - just feeling drawn to it. I'm just processing here the few things that are sticking out to me in this chapter. Please feel free to add your 2-cents about any of it...


Verses 3-5: This is the well-known passage that gets repeated by John the Baptist later in the NT. "A voice of one calling: in the desert prepare the way for the Lord..." I am noticing that the place where we prepare for the Lord, according to this passage, is in the DESERT and WILDERNESS. The things that happen in this place are making level ground for God to be revealed.


V 11: "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart: he gently leads those that have young." God has a gentle character that is especially attentive to the young, new and defenseless. And he expresses that same character towards those caring for the young. I certainly have young!


V 12 - 26: The bulk of the chapter is spent upon who GOD is: bigger and more powerful, mysterious, knowledgable and unique than we can ever fathom Him to be. This leads into the next section of personal interest for me....


v 27 - 31: This section is about how God sees everything - no person or cause is forgotten by him. And those that he helps are WEAK and WEARY (i.e. those in the desert/wilderness!!). I tend to think that my causes are so small or that God is sometimes disinterested in me when I don't see/feel Him for a while. And this tells me that cannot be so. That IS NOT the case.

So today I am taking away from Isaiah 40 for me:
  • That I'm in some kind of desert right now and therefore am being prepared for God's glory to be seen in my life in a new way in the future.
  • That God is gently leading me - right now, He is treating me with some extra TLC. His heart is towards me.
  • God is bigger than I can ever fathom. It'd do me good to bathe myself in scripture about this particular aspect of His nature. (Any suggestions?)
  • That I need to repent for ever thinking that God isn't interested in my life and concerns!
  • That when I feel weary or weak or inadequate is when he can give me the most, so I should embrace anytime or way I feel weak and ask for more of God in that area.

1 comment:

JayD said...

Remember Esther. God took an orphaned girl raised by her cousin and made her queen so she could save her people.
"It's tough being a woman who can balance passion with patience".
(Beth Moore)
Love, Mom