Thursday, February 18, 2010

Notes to Self

I'm shamelessly and semi-publicly ripping off a blog post from my friend Amy's blog (see "Deep Roots" blog link on lower left...that's her!). I know she won't mind. She posted a few days ago about a notebook she keeps around her to write "notes to self." For some reason, this really struck me. Not only did I have a good laugh: at hers and mine... but also it seemed like an excellent way to capture small realizations we have throughout our days.

God gives us language and words primarily to CREATE stuff. And I know from experience that when I write something down or log something (such as miles of runs for marathons) that things come alive as they weren't previous to words-on-paper. This is also why I love to write. And so, therefore, I thought when I read Amy's post "what a GREAT way to make things REAL that otherwise would just be in my head." Pretty much the essence of this whole darn blog but in a little, condensed, daily way. Love it.

So, here's my notes to self today... and I plan to send Amy my notes-to-self often as a way for us to keep in step with each other's hearts and minds from an ocean away...

Notes to Self on Thursday Feb 18:
  • Not eating bread sucks but go look at the picture of myself in the Bahamas when my flesh is yelling at me. Or pray. I guess that'd be good too. :-)

  • Books about how to get your baby to sleep better produce more stress than a baby who doesn't want to go to sleep.

  • My cats are a nuisance: keep devising schemes to get rid of them.

  • It's no big deal not to wash my hair for a day.

  • Talk to God about what I want to study and learn.

Please, share yours!

4 comments:

Ross & Tricia McLain said...

Note to self:

Don't tell your toddler about something fun you are going to do "after" they have to go to sleep (i.e. naptime or bedtime). Sleeping doesn't tend to go over as well :-)

Sweet post Alli! I also read your friend Amy's and got a good laugh!!

Anonymous said...

I love that you love this... and I love that we're "noting to self"..together.

Mine for today:
-Solitude is my favorite thing for me these days
- TomTom can get me through central Johannesburg by myself, which feels like a strange but real victory
- I'm responsible for obedience, not outcomes

Anonymous said...

PS: that photo- is the EXACT book I write in...

Alli said...

Amy - Love your obediance note to self. I too often mistake the outcome for whether or not I was actually hearing God and obeying. Mine would be: Outcomes do not equal proof of obediance!