Monday, March 23, 2009

My First Vegetable Garden

There's a story here. About 2 years ago I first entertained the thought of putting in a garden. And quickly dismissed it. I've never been able to keep plants alive for very long. I get annoyed with their neediness (yes, I see what I just wrote. I know there's stuff in that one.)

But the thought just wouldn't let go. When it came back to me the next year (which was last year), I again pushed it off. But this time I was pretty sure it was God. I just thought to myself "does God know me? this is ME we're talking about." I happened to share this desire with my friend Kate who promptly shared a dream that she (or maybe Ben?) had where they were helping us plant a garden. And I thought "boy God does seem to want me to do this." And yet I didn't do it.

So here we are. Last night I repented for being so slow to follow God. And for not planting the garden. So today I have been researching what to do on a "gardening for kids" website. I figured that level of information would be just-about-right for me. I was right. Even what was said there seemed too much. But I'm pressing ahead. I'm following through. And following God into my first garden.

I'm thinking tomatoes, green beans, basil and cucumbers this year. Is this too much? Not enough? Feedback desired. But think to yourself "what would I tell my 7th grader who wanted to plant a garden?"

And also: here's the scripture that keeps ringing in my ears as I begin...it's called The Parable of the 10 Virgins. It's in Matthew ch 25...

"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
6"At midnight the cry rang out: 'Here's the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!'
7"Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.'
9" 'No,' they replied, 'there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.'
10"But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

3 comments:

Katy said...

yay!!
whenever i read about gardening, i get confused. don't read about it. i'd love to come help you start something or just talk to you over the phone. you CAN do this!! don't worry about starting from seed, just buy a couple plants at lowes or something in may, put them in dirt and let them rip. tomatoes, basil, zuchinni, lettuce are all easy to do!!!

didi said...

Sunflowers always encourage a gardener at the end of the row.

Anonymous said...

wow... a garden!! I'm proud of you. Me and plants?! I've yet to have one live. Maybe down the road I'll learn this from you too!!