Friday, May 29, 2009

Season of Blessing


We've definitely been in a season of blessing lately. Our family is close. Our boys are growing like weeds and are secure and loving. Our friendships are deepening. There are babies being born in our community everywhere we look. We find ourselves genuinely enjoying our home and our life right now. Sure, there are days when none of this is true for a moment but, overall, looking back at the recent past, we've been in a season of blessing.

So, I got curious.... what does God say in scripture about these times? Does my version of being blessed line up with God's? I like this verse in Ezekiel and the description of God's blessing that it gives:
Ezekiel 34:25-27
25 " 'I will make a covenant of peace with them and rid the land of wild beasts so that they may live in the desert and sleep in the forests in safety. 26 I will bless them and the places surrounding my hill. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing. 27 The trees of the field will yield their fruit and the ground will yield its crops; the people will be secure in their land. They will know that I am the LORD, when I break the bars of their yoke and rescue them from the hands of those who enslaved them.

Peaceful Rest
God fights off our enemies
Growth
Fruit and harvest
Security in Him
Freedom from oppression or slavery of our past

So, yeah, I think it's lining up well. And important to note; there's nothing to do here but receive it. And know that it glorifies the Lord. I guess He can bring himself glory in any number of ways, but one way he sometimes does it is to bless those who follow him. Occasionally I find it hard to accept - hard to just sit back and go "ok - bring it on." My flesh wants to figure out when something is going to go wrong or think up reason I don't deserve it or wonder if it just simply isn't true - like I'm delusional or something. But - the truth is - God's heart and character is to bless those who remain faithful to Him. Simple as that.

No comments: