Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Moms Know Things

Moms know things that other people don't. Sometimes God will speak to me in these weird moments of mothering where I feel Him saying "yep - that's how you should be with me." It seems something that comes with giving yourself fully over to the process of motherhood is that you begin to gain astounding new insights about what's it's like to be in relationship to God. Moments with your children are actually teaching your heart how to be a child with God.

This is a picture of me and Andrew at the Blue Manatee "Music Time with Miss Megan." We get 30 minutes to sing, dance and have some fun together (when I'm not chasing down Luke who is crawling away and pulling books off the shelf!). This was a moment when God just spoke to my heart and said "dancing - YES - let's do that." From the outside I probably look like an ass but inside I'm enjoying the excuse to dance around with a scarf and jingle bells.
A few of my friends have noted that I spend more time on-the-floor-playing with my boys. I am not sure exactly why I do this more than most except that something happens when I just give myself over to it... I enjoy myself and they enjoy me.
Many timesI find myself trying to grab at any time I have to be alone instead of realizing that I get to be with them. Yes, sometimes play-time isn't fun at all and I have other things I want to do. Yes, I want to have my own space and time. But No, I've never gotten to the end of my day and thought "I wish I hadn't played with them so much today."
I think a God of infinite time would spend as much time as we wanted to spend with him dancing around with scarves and jingle bells. Feel free to try this in your living room: let me know how it goes.

No comments: