Sunday, December 28, 2008

Something was missing...

And it was you. (Or at least some of you!) I told Bill on the drive up to Columbus that I was realizing the thing that was missing from my Christmas Day was my friends; my community. Our biological family is very nice. The gifts I got were kind and thoughtful. And they both mean a lot to me.

But I missed that childhood excitement. And I realized on our drive what brings that to my heart: it's my friends. The anticipation, the energy, that "Christmas spirit" everyone talks about...well, for me, at least right now: it's my friends who move my heart like that. And you were missing on my Christmas. And I missed you.

I had a dream on Christmas Eve that me and Bill were with the Russells, the Manuels and many other (although unnamed in the the dream) friends and couples. In the dream Steven said (with a 'duh - of course' tone to his voice) that we were all, of course, going to have a family dinner. Bill and I said we thought we could make it if it was early enough for the kids. The Russells couldn't make it. And the only other thing I saw was the table being set with a feast.

So that Christmas dinner was missing from my Christmas. And a piece of my heart with it.
Here's a few of you in moments that wouldn't have happened without friends...









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your life is rich with friendships... and I swear, one of these days... we're not going to live an ocean apart...or even a time zone apart. I'm starting to ask God for that... is that selfish? That I want to be near my Alli? Even if it is... I'm still asking ;) I can't make any guarantees that He won't answer my prayers by shipping you to S. Africa... I'm just sayin'!!

stevie said...

YEAH! We were just with Texas friends yesterday who miss what we have in Cincinnati heart-friends-wise. I swear that love is thicker than blood. Hear, hear.

stevie said...

Also, "something was missing" is a song from Annie.

Alli said...

Annie was the first movie I ever saw. I wonder if I'd still cry. Probably.