Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Friend, Amy


Those of you who know me from Cincinnati probably don't know my friend Amy Riep. I want you to meet her. Because I want everyone to meet her. Amy is my oldest and dearest friend. She and I grew up 2 doors apart and spent our childhood running across the Trimble's front yard to ring each other's doorbell. Our families moved onto the street about 6 months apart when we were 6 years old. That makes this a 25 year friendship. Wow. I like to imagine that our friendship might be the biggest reason that God steered both our families into the homes (where both sets of parents still live). Who knows but it's a nice thought. Here's a few reasons why I love her:
  • Amy brought me to Jesus with her friendship. She wasn't there the moment I made that decision to receive Him but if not for her I would never have come to know Him so early in my life (16 yrs old).

  • Amy gave me "The Alli Simpkins Bible" (as it is affectionately called for my maiden name embossed on the front cover). The spot I learned that I loved God's words.

  • Amy is hilarious: witty, self-deprecating, with the most infectious laugh.

  • Amy is honest and completely authentic - no pretense.

  • Amy continues to feel familiar to me even after sometimes a year or longer of not seeing each other (when she decides to move to South Africa every now and then). This familiarity is GOD in her...she is always pursuing God and so am I. That keeps our friendship in Him and not completely dependent upon time/space/location.

  • Amy is wise.

  • Amy has huge faith.

  • Amy has encouraged me at the most important times: I remember the phone call when I told her I was leaving P&G to go to work at Crossroads. She later told me it was a moment she knew I had given up pursuing the path of the world. I've never forgotten these words.

For Christmas I wish you all could receive the gift of Amy. But, alas, her blog will have to do: Expectant & Beyond (on my list to the left)...check it out sometime.

(And yes - that picture was taken almost 3 years ago...)




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alli- I have tears in my eyes. All I can really say, at this moment of being so overwhelmed... is... I love you.

Anonymous said...

i'm sitting here with an overwhelmed heart because you so perfectly described our friend. i can't even begin to imagine my life minus amy.

i haven't even told her this, but just last night someone asked me (via online chat) why amy is my best friend. i gave her a long list of reasons. and made mental note to be intentional about sharing those things with amy at some point.

you beat me to it.

i need to still find a way to do the same. because i don't think amy really has a clue how much she has impacted my life. and she needs to know.

maeklingler said...

"This familiarity is GOD in her...she is always pursuing God and so am I."

Alli, I'm not sure you could even pick me from a crowd of two, but I stumbled on your blog from Krissy and Kelly's. I LOVE what you said about your friend and why you can pick up so easily with her. That is serious wisdom. Thanks!

Alli said...

Mae - I know you more in reputation than anything else. (And yes, I do now know who you are!). Kelly, Lori and Mary all speak so well of you.

Glad to have you on my blog! Welcome.