Friday, December 12, 2008

Why do you blog?


So I'm struggling with whether to actually blog or not. I just keep thinking that a blog should have a POINT...to keep in touch with distant relatives, to share some specific topic with others who care (thinking of an attorney-friend's "tax issues" blog). I love to write. Always have. There's something appealing about this but I don't quite know what it is. And I can't quite bring myself to commit to it. My original idea was just to write to GET OUT what was inside me that didn't have another outlet. But why can't I just write it on a piece of paper -- why is blogging different? Is it the community experience of sharing a blog? Ultimately, I don't want to be some blow-hard who just wants others to hear me talk (or write, in this case). So -- for you few who I'll send this link to: here's the question -

Why do you blog?

PS - Doesn't the red haired girl look like she's pondering "to blog or not to blog?"

4 comments:

Krissy said...

I love and enjoy you so much, Alli. This question really resonates with me because I feel like if you're going to do something, you should be clear on the purpose. Here's my opinion - I enjoy knowing what you're thinking about. I'm not going to talk to you every day, and when we talk, we won't get to every topic. If you blog, I get to be part of your day. Also, you are a teacher, so if you write about something, a month later when someone says to me "What do you know about x,y,z?", I can say "Alli had something good to say about that - read her blog, and then talk to her about it." I guess I just appreciate knowing what you're thinking.

Steven Manuel said...

I blog because:

1) I sometimes have good stories to tell and I have friends across the country and in other countries that I want to hear them. To me, it's the same thing as mass email: "HEY you've GOT to hear what happened..." and people who want to know about me can find out wholesale.

2) Also, it's a low-pressure place for me to say, "I think EVERYBODY needs to hear this," but those that don't want to don't have to. So I can tell what I think God is doing/saying in as public a forum as I can.

Anonymous said...

Hi friend... I sent you an email with the full answer... but I also ditto what Krissy said...

kel said...

all of the above.

it's a forum of me, my life. a place to perpetuate friendship as this stage of life seems to allow less and less for a finished discussion of any particular topic. it offers a connection and holds me accountable to put out there things that keep me vulnerable in my friendships near and far. otherwise, i might discount events or thoughts, that my friends would say, "hey, i want to know about that." some posts i think "i hope everyone reads this!" and others, "i hope no one reads this." anyway, time only allows me to cover about 50% of what i want to blog.

in terms of "purpose," i'll offer - it's ok to start something with one purpose in mind and be open to the evolution of that purpose.