Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Don't strain your eyes.


I've been thinking over the past 3-4 days about how much time I spend trying to figure out what God's up to. This is actually fun for me. I like to look around at what's happening in my life and others and pontificate about what God might or might not be doing. Well, the last few days I've been thinking about the fact that, while God does make us promises about our futures, He doesn't want us wasting so much time trying to figure out the steps he's going to take us on to fulfill them.

James 14:13-14 says "Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

My job is not to try to figure-out God. My job is not to try to see too far ahead and make a big plan. It's God's pleasure to decide what enjoyment or purpose he will take out of my life. He's the Maker...I'm the made.

Rather than trying to see ahead, we have 2 other views to look upon:

1) Behind us. We can look just behind us at our yesterdays to see what God has done. And it's those things that have been done which we can celebrate, confirm, teach, remember, agree-with, pass-on encourage-with or impart to others. God gives us lot of commands in scripture to remember and celebrate.
But God gives no commands about seeing into the future and none to try-real-hard-to-know-where-He's-going-next. He talks much of the past. He talks much of the present. But doesn't really want us focused so much on our earthly futures.

2) Our next moment: the present. We DO have something to do that certainly impacts where we're heading and what God is up to in our lives. Our job in the present. This is to listen to God's voice and follow it. In essence our job is to hear and obey. And this will walk us into the future plans for our lives. The more we practice this, the more we will naturally abide in Him and in His plans for our futures.
1 John 2:3-4 "We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him."
Isaiah 30: 21 "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."
John 15:4-5 "Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

Now I have so enjoyed saying to Him hmmm God are you doing this?! ...it's like trying to crack the best, most interesting code ever. But honestly -- more often my attempts to figure Him out just result in me laying my own expectations on Him and ending up disappointed.

Proverbs 27:1 says "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth."

I think I'm going to give up trying to crack the code of my future. (This is big since I came from a family whose unofficial motto is 'Get a Plan and Stick to It!') I'm not exhausted or frustrated (ok, sometimes I get frustrated)...I'm just trying to say I agree with God. I agree that I'll try to put my energy and heart where they belong: celebrating, remembering, listening and obeying.
That'll be plenty.

6 comments:

Katy said...

amen

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis!
I wondered after reading your comments where we are to draw the line between creating our intentions in the world (like plans for the weekend or a career) and then trying to guess what God has in store for us? I mean, after all, we are given our wills to use in this world, right?
I was talking with Sheli about it and we think of ourselves as co-creators of our lives with God (a.k.a., Get a plan and stick to it!) When adjustments or surprises spring up, it's God's little way of correcting our path. In other words, since we're creative/creating people, we should intend our lives into the future and if they don't work out as planned, look to God for the lesson as to why.
Something along what you were saying? I must admit, I got lost. (: love-Jim

Anonymous said...

Sorry...one more thing:
I am of the mind that we need to have a plan--in fact, if we don't we aren't moving our potential along. We shape our lives and careers and even our bodies with the same divine power that God used to create the world. If we aren't using that faculty to live a life that we love in service to Him and others we are really squandering using a beautiful gift from our bridge to the Creator!

Alli said...

hmmm...yes - I agree with much of what you say here. It's making me think about why it is that I feel this way right now. I know that God takes us through different seasons. Perhaps I'm in a season of resisting laying out steps to a long term plan because of my past propensity to do so with or without God. Also - I'm considering whether or not perhaps I currently resist this because future plans are hazy for me at current. That could indicate that my need-to-know is no different...instead I've just chosen a different coping mechanism. I'm not sure I make sense here to anyone else but me.

But I do agree that we are co-creators of our futures with God. I think "get a plan and stick to it" in my past has represented a priority on performance and accomplishment. Maybe I'm just needing some more maturity in the area of how to make and pursue plans in my life that leave room for God.

Just wanted to let you know that your response made me think. Thanks. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes...YES! I've been learning about this too. In fact, I received a word from someone (a pastor) that I've never actually met... but she said this...

"God’s is NOT concerned about your future, He is wondering if you will possess your today! He already knows what your future is, He saw it from the very beginning, no, God is watching to see if you will possess your present."

Anonymous said...

Just read the comment dialog- and of course I have to add my two cents... :)

I think it is a "plan" to determine in the present that you will say yes to God..for the here and now, for the tomorrow's, for the next decade. Not worrying about the future is not the same as apathy today... God is an active God... He describes our journey with Him and our lives as a race... and to run takes training... and to train requires a plan... but for me, it all comes back to who is drafting the plan... me or Him?