Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hurry!

I've been noticing that Andrew doesn't respond well to being in a hurry. I like that. It's pretty rare that we have to get out the door "in a hurry." The one or 2 times lately that we've done that (thanks to me waking him up late from his nap), the response has been poor at best. He's kind of weepy and not interested in co-operating with my sudden need to get out the door.

I think hurry is a tactic to steal away our very lives. I didn't notice how much we'd eliminated hurry from our existence until I try to put it back in. It's like a shoe that's too small. You can push and push but it just isn't going to go on. And there really isn't any hurrying a 3 year old who's just awakened from a nap. Plus - the very things that get eliminated in a hurry are the things worth living for.

When Andrew wakes up he likes to have a little cuddle and be awakened slowly and gently (who doesn't?!). He likes to give kisses and talk to his brother who is usually crawling around the foot of his bed. He wants me to carry him down the stairs. And then we sing and dance while we have a snack. Hurry makes all this seem unnecessary. Hurry makes you think that those are the things you can live without.

But those are the very things we live for. Ecclesiastes 2:10 says "My heart took delight in my work, and that was the reward for all my labor." Hurry steals the things that delight your heart. I'm not going to let that happen. So even if we're in a hurry....we still get the cuddle, we still get the singing...we just might miss 5 minutes of the swim lesson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so good... so true.