Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Dude Ranch

Some recent conversation has caused me to remember our brief visit to a dude-ranch in North Carolina last summer. Our family really loved this place (http://www.pisgahviewranch.net/). We did go on the heels of a week with both sets of grandparents at the beach, so perhaps we really needed the peace and quiet. Or maybe it really was that great. In any case, it was a little oasis of quiet, rest and well, nothing-ness that made it just perfect.



The quiet was mountains-in-the-morning kind of quiet. The view I've shown is what you're staring at from the main house on the ranch - Mt Pisgah. It's the kind of quiet where you sit on your rocking chair on the front porch in the evening and you hear the squeak of your chair and the clop-clop-clop of the pygmie goats kept as pets on the property (no kidding). And that's it.

See - there's the goat. (Andrew's in green with some boys we met). By the way -- we heard something on our deck one morning and, disturbingly, the goat was ramming his tiny little horns into our sliding-glass door. Kinda weird.

The rest was the kind where (after biscuits and gravy) you choose from a walk over to skip rocks on the pond (which I can't do!), a game of shuffleboard (I avoid the game after pulling a muscle on a cruise a few years back), or a trail ride on one of the beautiful horses they keep at the ranch. I found that I loved to take Andrew and just wander-about...checking out the chickens or digging up rocks by the pond. This was the nothing-ness. Nothing to do. Nowhere to be. You're there. And every now and then we'd just take off running for no reason.

And also: you can get sweet tea all day long in the main house. 'Nuff said.



Doing this post is making me remember a verse.

Isaiah 30:15
"In repentance and rest is your salvation.
In quietness and trust is your strength..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so get it... the peace... the space... the nothing-ness...

Wanna come do nothing with me on this farm?!?

I'll be tucking that verse away for my quiet moments here...

Alli said...

I'd like nothing better than to bring my boys over to your farm in South Africa for a stay...and chase zebras, climb the mountain, and drive 17 hours just to go get an ice cream. I wish. I wish.