Thursday, February 5, 2009

It's about People, people

I'm re-reading the gospel of Mark right now. And just yesterday I had a "moment" if you know what I mean...one of those duh moments. I was reading through the first few chapters and something just kept sticking out to me: the fact that everything Jesus said and did was about PEOPLE.
Now, the idea that Jesus loves people is certainly not a new consideration for me (or you I'm sure) - we all know that. But here I am reading the account of someone's life - these gospels record the life and times of Jesus - and nearly every single passage is about how Jesus treated people, how he loved people, what He says about people or what he teaches us about people.
Here's a few of them from the section I was reading:
  • (To Simon and Andrew) "Come follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
  • The accounts of Jesus healing a demon-possessed man, his friend's mother in law, a leper and a paralyzed man are just in the first 2 chapters!
  • (When accused of hanging out with people who were losers and sinners) "It is not the healthy (people!) who need a doctor but the sick (people!). I have not come to call the righteous (people!), but sinners."
  • And the one that really got me was Mark 2:21-22 "No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the new piece will pull away from the old, making the tear worse. And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, he pours new wine into new wineskins."

I've heard this passage used a number of times to talk about how God is interested in starting new programs, new organizations or new ministries. Perhaps there is a useful metaphor there for other things, but this is NOT what the passage is saying primarily. I believe Jesus is talking here about PEOPLE. Maybe all you people reading this already knew that (like I said it was kind of a duh-moment) but I think this passage had been tainted for me because of the use I had heard of it. I guess God sort of just reached down and poked me and said Hey! This is about PEOPLE. Jesus pours himself into PEOPLE. People is the metaphor here.

In the section before this passage he is asked about why his disciples weren't fasting like the disciples of John and the Pharisees. (Again - the discussion is about His people). He then explains with the wineskin passage that He is a new thing - that He's here to do something new and that they shouldn't look at the disciples of other groups/folks to find out what HIS followers will do. His people follow HIM - not other leaders, good programs or even the old covenant that John represents here. He's interested in pouring himself into NEW kinds of people - the sick, lonely, sinner, thief, whatever. THAT is the new group of people He's come for. That's the new wineskin he's looking for. Crazy. And probably offensive to many nice people of his time.

And I began to wonder -- if someone were writing a book of my life; how many stories and chapters of my life record would be about PEOPLE? What would the other topics be? And how do I begin to see the time or energy or money in my life that goes towards other things? Things of much less value than PEOPLE.

1 comment:

Steven Manuel said...

Don't say your revelations are dumb. This is a major revelation, and NOBODY would understand this if God didn't speak it to them. DON'T downplay that, Alli.