Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My "little" things

Lately I've felt like I keep getting ideas or promptings or creative inspirations to do little things. Here's a few examples:
  • Invite the woman who cleans for us to Sunday dinner.
  • Invite the girl down the street to come to the Museum Center with me and the boys.
  • Send my uncle, who is recovering from cancer-related surgery, a care-package.
  • Write notes of encouragement (and actually mail them!).
  • Meet up a woman I know to just spend time talking about where she is with God.
  • Email a woman I just met to reconnect and tell her how glad I was to meet her. (I'm going to do this one as soon as I post this!)

I've been feeling like I'm coming into a season where I can/should/will have the chance to reach out more to others and do at least a few other things beyond my family and home. And right now, it appears that it's this kind of stuff that's coming into my heart.

Whenever I see things like this coming up in my life, I think it's probably God behind it. We all have plenty of things we could fill our time with. But these ideas are things that I actually want to do, and it's a good thing - because they just keep coming to me.

Here's a few scriptures that came to mind as I'm considering these "little" things:

"You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Galatians 5:13-14

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?....I will show you my faith by what I do." James 2:14...18

"Religion that our God accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

Feel free to ask me if I've followed through on each of them.

1 comment:

Krissy said...

you look crazy skinny in that picture. you may need a new pic.

despite how it must seem, i do read the blog, not just critique your pics :)