Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pictures of Receiving

On Tuesday I called my friend Mary and said "I need to receive some stuff from you!" She's a fantastic, passionate cook and baker. And my meal-times need some serious inspiration. So I decided I could borrow some of her passion. I gave her some parameters: a) as hands-off as possible (i.e. Crock-pot, bake a whole dish instead of meat-with-sides-meals) and b) little kid friendly.
I also needed to receive BOOKS. Mary and I share a love of reading. I would rather read than watch TV, talk on the phone or many other things. And Mary always seems to have good books. And I'm always struggling with what I should read next. So - she brought me 6 books that night.

It's great to receive. It's great to be able to call a friend and say "I need something and you've got it to give." God is like that. That's pretty much exactly what He wants us to do. He's got it all. We've got nothing to offer Him. He's the one who came to serve US. (Not the other way around). He's the Mary and you're the Alli. We're the ones who need restoration, infused passion or just plain healing. He's the one with all the good books and recipes.

Last night I saw another picture of receiving. I went to a meeting about mentoring/discipling other people. I learned again (and felt that flame fanned in me) that He, as the Good Shepherd, teaches us what it looks like to help care-for, fight-for and mature someone else in their faith. It's intentional, strategic and at the bottom of it is the heart of a groom who wants his bride lovingly cared-for in his absence. And it's practical stuff like "how can I be a good wife, mother, daughter? how can I care for my family and my work? how can I spend time with God and learn how to pray?" There are people around who know more than you and me. And it's just sitting out there waiting to be offered and received.
31 women (and I don't know how many men) stepped forward to say "I want that. I want to receive that from another person in my life."

If you need something, receive it. From a friend, from another woman, from your husband - and ultimately, from God. When I called Mary, I just knew we were friends...I didn't have to offer her anything. I didn't have to convince her that she should give me stuff. I called. She gave. That's how it works.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Be sure to get the recipe for Mary's Buffalo Chicken Taco things, they are freaking fantastic, and she makes them in a crock pot.

I love receiving gifts, books, words, friends, food, just about anything. (Just did the "i before e except after c" rhyme in my head to spell that.)