Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Women are beautiful

Last night I went to a gathering of women who wanted to talk about the Holy Spirit and worship together. It was great. There was teaching, singing, praying for one another, sharing stories and struggles and more prayer. In short, I saw how powerful it can be when women in the Body of Christ come together in community.

It is rare in my experience to attend a gathering of women-only when it isn't a bridal shower or baby shower. Although I think those are both fantastic celebrations of beauty, they certainly aren't usually a picture of the church in action.

I just wanted to share a few things that I loved about last night for you other women to consider:

1) The whole thing came about because my friend, Krissy, was obediant to something that she felt God was asking her to do. So she just did it. If I even think that God is maybe-kinda-sorta-suggesting something for me to do, then I'm going to be encouraged to just assume it's Him and go for it! You too.

2) Women are hungry for opportunities to build relationships with other women and be connected in the body. Women are not meant to function in isolation!!!!! (No one is, but especially not women). Isolation is a struggle of mine and most other women (especially young mothers) that I know. I'm here to proclaim that isolation is THE KEY tactic of Satan to weaken you and eventually bring you into some sort of darkness. If you (or any part of your life) is isolated from community who loves you and knows Jesus, then you must reach out to connect again. Even if it's just posting a comment here to say that.

I was just reading in 1 Peter this morning and it says this in 1 Pe 5:9: "Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." And the footnote says "Lions attack sick, young or straggling animals; they choose victims who are alone or not alert. Being cut off from other believers is when we are especially vulnerable to attack." Do NOT stay by yourself.

3) The Holy Spirit really does speak to people, fill people and minister to people. Really. No matter how many times I see this, it never ceases to be amazing, encouraging and mysterious to me. Some of the things I saw in this vein that were in the room last night were:
a) Women powerfully praying for other women
b) Women being taught, fought-for and even rubuked or corrected by other women.
c) Women's voices coming together as, what I thought anyway, an instrument that must have sounded really beautiful to God. I used to say I preferred hearing men sing (the deep, powerful voices are nice), but last night I noticed the lightness and loveliness and unity of the women's voices.
d) Women prophesying to other women: this isn't weird (like it might sound) - it just means that there were many women there who were hearing the Holy Spirit telling them things and speaking those out to other women. This is really fun and faith-building. (read next)
e) Women's faith was being built. Several times I was asked to sit down and pray for someone that I didn't know or have any information about. I just took a moment, listened to God and then prayed. You're definitely out on a limb when you do that. I mean, seriously, you just go "ok God - you're going to have to say something here because I have no idea what to say!" The result for me? Taking little steps of faith like that was adding to my foundation of faith. This is something God is VERY interested in doing for all of us. Faith begets faith.

Anyway - these are some thoughts about what I saw, what I love about women. Sweet.

3 comments:

jflinn said...

thanks for sharing this!

maeklingler said...

Do you think this will be a regular thing? So sorry I had to miss it.

Alli said...

I think there are lots of people who would like to see it be more regular and Krissy indicated that last night. I'm certainly open to that...guess we'll see what evolves. But I think everyone would really like it to be.
So sorry to hear you were sick!